As though to compensate for the gloomy yesterday, it is such a beautiful, blustery fall day here! I just loved the drive on the way to my daughter’s school. The thick black clouds scattered in the skies, and the bright, beautiful morning sun peeking from inside them, brought about a wonderful transformation to the landscape already lined with colorful fall trees!
As I was taking in the beauty of the nature, I suddenly realised, its almost weekend!!! And a friend (and family) said they would come stay with us this weekend, aallllll the way from Alaska!!! I am so excited to be able to meet them after a looong time! So, I started searching in my fridge to see what I can make in advance, so I can spend more time with them instead of in the kitchen.
The first vegetable I saw in the fridge was Thondakkai (in Tamil), Thondekkai in Kannada or Tindora in Hindi. One of my daughters’ favourite “beans”, I would rather relate it to the cucumber family, actually, thats how my mom introduced this vegetable to me. Being a cucumber lover and a kid, I was very happy to eat a mini cucumber!!!!
Anyways, I make the Thondakkai Fry like this:
1 lb Thondakkai
4 green chillies
1/2 tsp chilli powder (reduce if u want less spicy)
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
4-5 Tsps Oil Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard
1/2 tsp urad dal
1. Cut the Thondakkai in half, lengthwise, and further cut into thin long stripes.
2. Pop it in the microwave for abt 8-10 mins (until it is “almost” cooked). If you dont use a microwave, cook it until its cooked, but, still firm.
3. Heat oil in a shallow pan, add the seasonings.
4. Then add the green chillies, ginger garlic paste (non garlic eaters can use just ginger)and then the Thondakkai.
5. Keep stirring on low heat for approximately 10 mins, or until it begins to turn slightly brown.
6. Add chilli powder, salt, mix well, leave it for a minute and its done!