Kathrikkai Podimas/Brinjal Curry
Posted by Sneha on January 17, 2007
Kathrikkai/Eggplant/Brinjal/Aubergine – As most of my fellow bloggers say, is a very versatile vegetable. When it come to this vegetable, we see people on both ends of the spectrum – some eternal eggplant lovers and some, eternal haters!!! Kathrikkai Podi
I like eggplant when its cooked not mushy, but kind of fry/cooked in oil as in Vangibath, Ennegayi, Podimas, etc. We went grocery shopping y’day and seeing the fresh, tender eggplant, hubby dear said, “I never used to eat this, but, the way you cook it now, I started liking this vegetable!”. Ofcourse, I was glad to hear that, and yes, you guessed it! I made Kathrikkai Podimas today!!
If you have the powder done already, this is one of the fastest dishes you can cook, it hardly takes 15 mis to cut and cook!!!
Here goes the recipe:
For the masala powder:
1 cup urad dal
1 cup channa dal
1 1/2 cups dhania
1 cup red chillies
Dry roast(separately) all these till u get a nice aroma and powder coarsely. This stores well for a couple of months.
And now for the Kathrikaki podimas:
1 lb firm, tender Brinjal, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I prefer either the small round or long purple ones)
1 tsp of masala powder (more if u prefer more spicy)
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp Amchur powder or tamarind powder or paste (for a slight tang)
A pinch of turmeric powder
1. Heat oil, temper and add the cubed eggplant.
2. Let cook in medium flame for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occassionally, take care not to make it mushy, the cubes should be cooked but still firm!
3. Add turmeric, salt to taste and the amchur powder, stir.
4. Finally, sprinkle the masala powder, mix well, turn off the heat.
5. Delicious Kathrikkai podi is ready, its that easy and quick!