Methi Malai Matar
Posted by Sneha on March 23, 2007
Atlanta, a growing metro, has a vast selection of Indian restaurants and groceries. We used to eat out quite often while we were there. And most of the times, if I like something, I would go in search of the recipe. Thats how the Methi Malai Matar came into my recipe repository! I had this at a small restaurant called “Dhaba” and my search for the recipe started immediately. After a lot of searching and trial and error, I finally settled on this recipe. It has a creamy taste and texture, yet spicy and aromatic too. Any time I make this dish, my friends end up asking for the recipe. It is deee-lish!!
For 4-5 servings
1 bunch of fresh methi leaves
1 cup green peas
1/2 tsp Dhaniya Powder
1/2 tsp roasted jeera powder
1/4 tsp kasoori methi
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
1 big onion
8-10 green chillies
1/2 tsp ging-gar paste
7-8 cashew pieces
1 tsp fresh curd/yogurt
1 tbsp fresh cream/milk
1. Grind together Onions, cashews, ging-gar paste, cream(milk) and yougurt.
2. Heat oil and slightly fry the green peas .
3. Heat oil and saute the finely chopped methi leaves until tender.
4. Keep the methi leaves separate.
5. Heat 2- tbsps oil and add the ground mixture.
6. Let it boil for 8-10 mins.
7. Add the dhaniya powder,roasted jeera powder, sugar and salt.
8. Simmer for 5-8 mins.
9. Add the methi leaves, simmer (abt 2-3 mins)
9. Finally add Kasoori methi and green peas and simmer on low fire for 2-3 mins.
Enjoy with chapathi, roti or naan!