Cucumber has always been one of my favorite vegetables since childhood. I like to eat them just raw with some salt sprinkled on it or any kind of dish made out of it. Kosumbari is one of the most famous salads from Karnataka, a must serve in all festivities and functions. Cucumber/Southekayi Kosumbari is one yummy salad, full of taste and protein, whats not to like about it? The healthy and crunchy cuke combines with moong – a high protein lentil, green chillies for spice and lemon juice for that tang, a healthy,guilt free salad.
1 cup moong dal, washed and soaked in water for about 3 hours
1 big cucumber cut into tiny pieces
5-6 green chillies(or to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice(or to taste)
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard
a pinch of Hing/asafoetida
Coriander and curry leaves
1. Drain all the water from the soaked moon dal.
2. Mix with the chopped cucumber and add green chillies, salt and lemon juice.
3. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and let it splutterr.
4. Take off heat, add asafoetida and pour over the salad, mix well.
5. Garnish with coriander and curry leaves.
Healthy, tasty Southekayi Kosumbari is ready.
Cucumber can be combined or even substituted with raw grated carrots.
Channa dal can be used instead of the Moong.